Baldy Mountaineering 2002
The Caltech Alpine Club and Caltech Y's Intro to Back Country Travel and Winter Camping: The Mount Baldy Trip (Mount San Antonio)
Copied from this old webpage.
April 13-14, 2002
Learn about winter camping on a mountaineering trip to Mount Baldy. Baldy is the tallest peak in the San Gabriels and from the summit on a clear day you can see LA, the ocean, and the channel islands. Come climb the mountain and sleep at high altitude. Learn about avalanche safety and rescue, snow caves, snow and ice anchors, etc. We will have workshops on map and compass navigation, altitude sickness at 10^4 feet, extreme condition camping,... This trip will be organized and financed with the assistance of the Caltech Y.
Eric and I hiked up Baldy Wednesday and the weather was warm. We hiked through only 5m of snow. Even though it may well be warm during the days (I wore shorts) it is going to be cold at night.
Here is the pretty minimal gear list. You MUST have the following:
- Poly Pro top and bottom
- fleece and/or down/synthetic jacket
- Shell Jacket and Pants
- Socks wool/synth + liners (opt)
- Good Boots (Light boots are okay, but not tenis shoes. Need to protect your ankles.)
Sun Glasses Sun Screen Chapstick Flash Light Pack Sleeping bag (at least 30 F) Sleeping Pad water containers (2-3L) bowl & eating utensils snack food
Please bring these if you have them
- shorts/t-shirt (cotton if you wish)
- gloves ( not just fleece or wool )
- Winter Hat
- Sun Hat
- Fleece pants
- First-aid kit
- Waterproof matches & fire starter (i.e. candle stub)
- Topo map and compass (if they're going to participate in navigation workshop)
- Dry clothes for the car
Some equipment may be borrowed, but it is limited and will be distributed on a first come first serve basis. The clothing list is flexible. A ski jacket could replace a fleece and a shell etc. We are not flexible about no cotton though! Boots should be water proofed before the trip. Talk to us if you have an questions. Before the trip, we will meet as a group and check gear, water proof boots, etc.
Click for larger size. See the Baldy Mountaineering 2006 page for more maps.
(Made with the help of Topozone.)
- Take 210 East to the 10 East to Ontario
- exit on N Euclid (going North)
- (Euclid wiggles a little, so make sure you stay on it!)
- Euclid becomes N Mountain Ave after a few miles; follow N Mountain Ave until you come to the intersection with Mt. Baldy Road.
- Take this North towards the mountains.
- (A few miles up, there is a left turn but the turn is clearly marked with a sign pointing to Baldy ski resort.)
- Park at the ski resort at the end of the road.
- Baldy Mountaineering 2006 similar kind of trip, but organized by a new set of club leaders.