Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.
How to Help
If you'd like to contribute to the wiki, here are a few ways to help
- Add content to existing collections like Trip Reports, Instructional Articles, Guides to Local Areas, Favorite Backpacking Meals, Alpine Photography Gallery, etc. etc. What we want the most is quality content, so don't worry about making it super-pretty if that's not your thing. Also, links to quality external sites are extremely valuable!
- Add an item to the Todo list below, or take care of an item there
- Copyedit existing articles, especially new ones - see Special:RecentChanges to see which articles have recently been edited. You can fix grammar and usage, add pages to appropriate categories, expand articles, correct errors, add links, etc.
- There are many articles in Category:Stubs which need to be expanded.
- Many of the links under 'Maintenance Reports' on the Special Pages Page can give you an idea of which pages might be neglected.
- Be creative and bold! If there's something you want to see on the wiki, add it!
This is an incomplete list that will be expanded as necessary.
- The wiki is open to any well-intentioned person, not just Caltech members (although certain club activities, such as borrowing club gear is restricted to Caltech and JPL members). Accounts suspected of spamming or promoting a business will be deleted by the administrators.
- We have a less restrictive policy than wikipedia.
- We allow non-encyclopedic content. For example, trip reports are encouraged
- We have no "notability" requirements. All articles, important or not, are welcome
- User pages are allowed to have whatever the user desires (within the bounds of institute policy, obviously).
- We allow opinions in articles. However, please keep it mature. Vitriolic opinions belong in forums, not on this wiki.
- Remember the standard wiki warning: "If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly, then do not submit it here." Do not take offense if others edit your pages.
- See also this vague list of goals for the wiki, but do not feel constrained by them!
Todo / Ideas / Requests
- We use a lot of links to external photos, but these don't allow for wiki markup in the captions - see if there's a way to address this
- For sets of related pages, organize navigation footers, like on wikipedia. See e.g. NavFrame
- Add some more nice photos to the list for the Main Page
- Make some templates for infoboxes, for example Template:TripReportInfoBox
- Trip Reports and Local Areas Pages pages should all be equipped with infoboxes containing vital data.
- Improve Template:LocalArea to include coordinates and other useful info, perhaps stealing the template used on wikipedia on pages such as this
- Can we add hidden keywords to pages to make sure they show up when searched for? For example, if I search for
food, I don't actually find Favorite Backpacking Meals.
- Is it possible to "tag" people in photos, like in facebook?
- Or, is there a way to display all the photos uploaded by a user?
- Tried to install Newest Pages Blog extension but it's not working. Would like to be able to put a small dynamic list on the main page showing the most recent new pages.
- Sept 13 2010, no longer adding the rel="nofollow" tag to links automatically