Category:Club Winter Mountaineering Trips
These trips were run by the club. See also the Club Trip Reports category.
The current year's trip page is at Winter Trip (this will forward to the correct page)
Here's a brief summary of previous year's trips:
(main article: Winter Mountaineering Trip 2007)
- Feb 27-28, overnight "practice trip" to Mt. Baldy.
- March 11th, summit Mt. Whitney. With total 15 climbers and 11 successes, 0% fatalities.
(main article: Winter Mountaineering Trip 2008)
- Feb 9-10, overnight "practice trip" to Mt. Baldy. 22 people!
- Feb 15-16, alternate overnight "practice trip" to Mt. Baldy. 15 people!
- March 7-9, "the beginner trip": summit Mt. Whitney. 14 climbers, 9 successes. No fatalities.
- March 21-23, "the veterans' trip" (now that we had veterans from previous years) to The Palisades. We summited Mount Sill, and the trip was designed to be a bit harder than the Whitney trip. Maybe it was a bit too hard. Out of 11 climbers, only 3 summited
(main article: Winter Mountaineering Trip 2009)
- Feb 27-28, massive overnight "practice trip" to Mt Baldy, with 28 people!
- March 20-21, "the beginner trip": summit Mt. Whitney. 11 climbers, many successes. No fatalities.
- April 4-5, "the veteran's trip". We went to the classic Casaval Ridge on Mount Shasta. This ridge is considered the premier mountaineering route on the mountain. We had a strong group, and around 80% of the 10+ strong group summited. The summit day began at 1 AM and ended at 5 PM.
(main article: Winter Mountaineering Trip 2010)
- Feb 12-13 practice trip to Baldy with 24 people
- Feb 20-21 practice trip to Baldy with 13 people
- Mar 19-21: Whitney trip. 15 people at summit.
- Mar 27-28: Mount Gayley and North Palisade via the class 5 U-Notch + Chimney Variation. This is a desirable peak even in summer. We had 8 climbers, and much to the leaders' surprise and joy, 7 summited. Summit day lasted from 4 AM to 11 PM.
(main article: Winter Mountaineering Trip 2011)
- Jan 28-29: practice trip to Baldy with 18 people.
- Feb 5-6: practice trip to Baldy with 28 people.
- Feb 11-13: Whitney trip with 22 people, 21 of whom summit!
- Apr 29-May 1: Veteran's trip to Mount Gayley and Thunderbolt Peak by the class 4 North Couloir route. Also a desirable peak, even in the summer, and the last of the California 14ers to be climbed. 8 climbers attempted the peak and, after lassoing the infamous summit block, all 8 reached the very top! Summit day lasted 4:15 AM to about 7 PM.
(main article: Winter Mountaineering Trip 2012)
- Feb 18-19: Practice Trip #1 to San Gorgonio Mountain. 10 summit in windy conditions.
- Feb 26-27: Practice Trip #2 To San Gorgonio Mountain. 27 summit in extremely friendly conditions.
- Apr 6-8 : Mount Whitney Trip. 28 summit in extremely friendly conditions.
Pages in category "Club Winter Mountaineering Trips"
The following 9 pages are in this category, out of 9 total.