Photography Competition 2011
UPDATE: Winners will be announced at Reel Rock. Shortlist is visible here and on the corresponding picasa album.
UPDATE: Entries are closed. Stay tuned for further updates.
Do you want fame, power, and money? Then why study science? The Caltech Alpine Club is offering enough prize money for a decent photo that you would only have to win it a billion times to be as rich as Bill Gates.
- The 2011 shortlist:
What we want
Photographs! A candid eye for photography during adventures in the wilderness is all we are looking for.
- UPDATE : 09/28/2011 : The final ~25 photos ( we received close to 180 entries!!) will be exhibited at the San Pasqual walk (close to Red Door Cafe) from 11.30 AM. The TOP 3 will be announced at Reel Rock on 10/05/2011
- Photos to be submitted between 08/01/2011 - 08/20/2011.
- Judging will occur by end of September, and winning entries will be displayed publicly at San Pasqual walk on 28th September.
Prizes and judging
1st $100, 2nd $60, 3rd $40. The top 3 prize winners will be announced at the Reel Rock Tour on October 5th, so be there !! Some number of other worthy photographs will be publicly displayed, ideally during new student orientation in September.
The eminent panel of judges includes Caltech graduate students and award winning fine art nature photographer Floris Van Breugel.
- Up to three photographs (.jpeg, each sized down to <5 MB) permitted per entrant.
- Please mention your affiliation to Caltech in the email (undergaduate? graduate? post-doc? staff? alumni?), and attach exif data, subject and location of the photo alongside.
- Standard image adjustments (cropping, brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation), stitching(panorama) and multiple exposure bracketing are ok!
- Entries to be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "submission : <participant name>" . Questions can be directed to the same e-mail address under the subject "query".
- There is a 'zero bounce' policy on submissions. Ensure your submission is finalized and in order before pressing send.
- Participants must be affiliated with Caltech. Honor code applies.
Submission details updated. Shoot us an email at email@example.com under the subject "query" if you have questions.
- Do the photos have to be backcountry? Is Joshua Tree okay? Yes. We are looking for any sort of experience outdoors !
- Is climbing okay? Yes.
Caltech Alpine Club reserves the right to reproduce all entries (with attribution) for any CAC publication in any medium.