Reel Rock 2013
The Caltech Alpine Club is hosting Reel Rock Tour 2013 on Wednesday, December 4, 2013, 7:30 PM at Ramo Auditorium on Caltech's campus. This is our fourth showing of the Reel Rock Tour. Here is the page for our 2012 showing, when we sold out the 350 person venue!
Tickets are now available at the Caltech Ticket Office. They are available in person, by U.S. mail, by fax, or by phone. Call (626) 395-4652 for tickets or walk to the south side of the Caltech Bookstore building, in Pasadena.
The 2013 trailer is now out!
We again have an awesome raffle lined up for the show! There is no extra cost for the raffle--make sure to get your FREE raffle ticket as you enter the auditorium.
- 1 free 3-day avalanche course with SMC guides
- Many items from REI.
- Many items from Sport Chalet.
- From Patagonia: M's and W's soft shell jacket, a pair of merino base layers, and a duffle bag
- Yearlong passes to Hangar 18!
The Reel Rock tour is a touring film festival of rock climbing, bouldering, ice climbing, and alpine climbing films in the vein of the successful Banff Mountain Film Festival but more focused on climbing. This year's program features the epic adventures of climbing superstars Yuji Hirayama, Ueli Steck, Daniel Woods, and many others.
The location is Ramo Auditorium on Caltech's campus in Pasadena (follow the link for a nice google map). This is inside the Baxter Hall building on the South side.
These movies will take you from Borneo to Everest to Yosemite Valley. From Reel Rock's film page:
- The Sensei: Forty-three-year-old Yuji Hirayama is one of the great legends of modern climbing. Near retirement, he plans one big swan-song mission to complete a project, one of his hardest ever, at the spectacular summit of Mount Kinabalu, on the island of Borneo. But first he must find the right partner. Enter Daniel Woods, the young American boulderer who is one of the strongest humans in the climbing world, but lacks mountain experience. Daniel-San travels to Japan to prove himself worthy of Hirayama’s mentorship, and the unlikely duo team up for the expedition of a lifetime.
- Spice Girl: The UK climbing scene is known for its strict traditional ethic, yielding dangerous routes and a competitive machismo among the driven young climbers risking it all to prove their boldness. It’s the last place you’d expect to find a nice little blond girl putting all the lads to shame, but Hazel Findlay is doing just that. The first woman to climb the British grade of E9 (super hard, super sketchy), Hazel is a connoisseur of loose rock, dodgy gear, and big runouts. Having mastered the scrappy seacliffs at home she teams up with Emily Harrington to tackle the massive, untamed bigwalls of Taghia Gorge, Morocco.
- The Stonemasters: Sender Films is currently working on a feature documentary about the counterculture climbing scene in Yosemite over the last 50 years. Provisionally titled “Valley Uprising,” the film brings all the legends to life: from Royal Robbins’ epic battle with Warren Harding to the fabled drug plane crash of 1977 and the escalating tensions between climbers and national park rangers. This year’s REEL ROCK Film Tour will include a teaser clip from the film that focuses on the sex-drugs-n-rock era of Jim Bridwell and the Stonemasters.
Previous film festivals
The club has organized film festivals in years past
- Reel Rock Tour 2012
- Reel Rock Tour 2011
- Telluride Film Festival 2001
- Telluride Film Festival 2002
- Teton Gravity Research Film Festival 2008 organized by Nick
- Banff Film Festival 2013
- Banff Film Festival 2012
- Banff Film Festival 2011
- We have hosted the Banff Film Festival for about 10 years in a row. You can visit the webpage for the current year's festival at Banff. This has been organized by Nick for the past few years.