My name is Nick Stadie, I recently finished grad studies in Materials Science, and I like to ski. Climbing peaks and skiing down them are what my daydreams, and sometimes my weekends, are made of. One of my favourite parts about all of it is eating a monster lunch in some hole on a stormy day (see right). Lift skiing is OK too, especially on those big days when you know it's worth it, or in special places like Jackson, Revy, or Andermatt. Otherwise, for me at least, it's all about being out in a remote place with your buddies, fighting the elements, getting after fresh tracks, and conquering new lines that haven't been skied more than a few times a year.
I help out with the Banff show (taking over from Lizzy Trower), the backcountry.com discount, and sometimes with other activities. I am also a volunteer at the Mt Baldy ski hut which is a great place to hang out in the winter, and dabble with the Mt Baldy Ski Patrol. Baldy Bowl is definitely the closest place to access steep, technical ski descents to Caltech: the Baldy chutes. I've made an effort to tick most of those off over my time here.
I was lucky to spend the spring season of 2010 in Switzerland where I learned how to ski across glaciers and pack a proper lunch, and the following "summer" traveled to South America - but mostly I stick to CA and BC (where I visit in the winter). I will resume skiing and climbing in Europe starting ASAP as I have just begun my first post-doc, once again in Zurich.
Don't hesitate to drop me a message (especially if you are planning a visit to Switzerland!) nstadie [ampersand] gmail [punkt] com.
Selected Adventures Log
- Dents Du Midi, Valais (Apr 2013)
- Fluebrig, Schwyz (Mar 2013)
- Alplihorn Solo, Graubünden (Mar 2013)
- Strahlhorn 4000er Extravaganza, Wallis (Mar 2013)
- Glarner Grand Tour, Glarus (Feb 2013)
- Champex-Lac, Chamonix, Valais (Feb 2013)
- Selun, St. G (Feb 2013)
- Schafberg, Uri (Feb 2013)
- Piz Giuv, Uri (Jan 2013)
- Sunnenhörnli, Glarus (Jan 2013)
- Asulkan Hut Takeover, BC (Dec 2012)
- Vestfirðir, Iceland (Jul 2012)
- Midway Mountain, CA (May 2012)
- Mt. Le Conte, CA (May 2012)
- Blue Couloir, CA (Apr 2012)
- TJ Solo, CA (Apr 2012)
- Bloody Couloir, CA (Mar 2012)
- Leglerhütte, CH (Jan 2012)
- Fronalpstock (mit Science!), CH (Jan 2012)
- Mt. Hood, OR (Jan 2012)
- Little Yoho Valley, BC (Dec 2011)
- Young's Peak, BC (Dec 2011)
- Big Sur Trail (Sep 2011)
- Argentina (Jul-Aug 2011)
- Mt. Langley, CA (Jun 2011)
- Pear Lake Snow Study, CA (Apr 2011)
- Sierra High Route, CA (Apr 2011)
- Mammoth Crest, CA (Apr 2011)
- Mt. Carillon, CA (Feb 2011)
- Mt. Whitney, CA (Feb 2011)
- The Dome, BC (Dec 2010)
- Cloudripper, CA (Dec 2010)
- Caltech Peak, CA (Oct 2010)
- San Gabriel Ultra, CA (Sep 2010)
- Mittaghorn, CH (Jun 2010)
- Finsteraarhorn 4000er Extravaganza, CH (May 2010)
- Monte Rosa, CH (May 2010)
- Gemsfairenstock, CH (Apr 2010)
- St. Bernard Pass, CH (Apr 2010)
- Baldy Bowl, CA (Jan 2010)
- Revelstoke, BC (Dec 2009)
- Roger's Pass, BC (Dec 2009)
- Baden Powell, CA (Dec 2009)
- Nation Lakes by Canoe, BC (Jul 2009)
- Kirkwood, CA (Mar 2009)
- Mt. Whitney, CA (Mar 2009)
- Baldy Bowl, CA (Feb 2009)
- Teton Pass, WY (Dec 2008)
- Selkirks and Purcells, BC (Dec 2008)
- Uttarakhand, India (Sep 2008)
- Mt. Whitney, CA (Mar 2008)
Trip reports to come (maybe never)!
Where To Next?
Well, I'll have to come back to the Sierra in coming years to get a few classics I've been eyeing but never had the chance to ski: both Bloody and Red Slate couloirs, Mount Tom in particular. I'd like to ski to Caltech Peak and around the Palisades at some point too, and another trans-Sierra traverse is ever-present in my mind.
Switzerland, 2013-2014: so many projects...
Central America 2015?